Level 1 and Level 2 Control Systems
Tenova Italimpianti provides in-house development of Level 1 and Level 2 automation systems for new furnace installations or for existing system upgrades. The Tenova Flexytech® Level 1 system is a microprocessor based system (PLC or DCS) interfaced with HMI (Human Machine Interface) state-of-the-art display screens, to provide furnace operators with manual, automatic or Level 2 control of furnace functions and processes.
In 1981, Tenova Italimpianti was the first company to utilize on-line mathematical models to automatically control the operating functions of a reheating furnace. These mathematical models have been continuously tested and improved through more than one hundred
reheating furnace performance evaluations and are now crucial components of the Tenova Flexytech® Level 2 system. The Flexytech® Level 2 system provides vital furnace performance benefits such as lower specific fuel consumption and improved product temperature uniformity as well as higher mill production rates
Tenova Italimpianti thanks to its extensive experience provides solutions for the optimization of the PID control parameters through:
Dedicated software packages based on advanced alorithms for a complete self-tuning of the system
Preventive maintenance contracts based on: regular furnace check-up (field instrumentation and software).
FlexyTech furnaces are engineered in order to assure top performance under any conditions, particularly for baseline efficiency and thermal quality, with special focus on low environmental impact. One of the most advanced performance features of these furnaces is the level 2 automation for the furnace control.
Tenova FlexyTech Level 2 automation architecture takes strong advantage from the more recent innovative features implemented such as communication protocols, advanced 3D model, predictive control logic, Tenova ICS® fuzzy logic and statistical cooling model.
FlexyTech Level 2 can be easily integrated in any reheating furnace typology in the context of the existing customer automation. It is a computer based system that can be built on various hardware and software platforms such as Windows Server, OpenVMS, HP-UX, etc.
All FlexyTech Level 2 modules store and retrieve data to or from an internal system database; those modules are:
- Communication layer, from and to the other devices on the plant;
- Mathematical model to compute the thermal profile of the slabs;
- Control logic to compute the pacing and the set points of the furnace;
- Statistical model to estimate the cooling from the furnace discharge to the exit of the roughing mill;
- Fuzzy Logic to drive the Tenova ICS system upon the heating distribution in the furnace;
- User interface with real-time and historical data stored by the system;
- Technological editor;
- Remote diagnostic and assistance.
All the topics covered below will reference the Windows Server version. However, the same concepts apply, with minor changes, to the other platforms.
Value for Money
- Optimized control means having a strong energy saving mainly in the transient state of the combustion process
- Full integration among Level 1 and Level 2
- Turnkey solutions and installations of integrated systems